Photo courtesy of Fire District #1


On Feb. 16 at 10:30p.m., Fire District #1 of Johnson County, responded with Johnson County Med-Act to a medical call for two people exposed to carbon monoxide at a residential home in the 32000 block of W. 174th St. in Gardner.
The Gardner Police Department was first on scene where officers began working on getting both residents out of the home. Fire District #1 crews arrived on scene and got both residents out of the home safely. The two residents were transported by Med-Act in critical condition to a local hospital. Crews remained on scene to clear the carbon monoxide out of the home and make sure no other hazards were present.

Photo courtesy of Fire District #1

The source of carbon monoxide was due to a forgotten vehicle left idling inside the garage of the home for an extended period of time. Fire crews were picking up 500ppm(Parts Per Million) of Carbon Monoxide with their monitors inside the home which is considered to be highly dangerous when exposed to it for an extended amount of time.
This incident is a reminder to make sure your home has working Carbon Monoxide Alarms and to never leave a vehicle idling while indoors.
Cars parked inside should never be left running, said Sgt. Steve Benz, Gardner Police Department.
“It should never be done in a garage, even if the overhead garage door is open,” Benz said. “Carbon Monoxide can find a way into a residence through the smallest opening, including around and under doors, electrical outlets, furnace vents, etc.  A good plan to keep from accidentally leaving a car running is to always take your car keys into your home with you. Never leave your keys in your car, even if you turn the car off and lock the car in your garage.  Take your car keys inside.”