Photo courtesy of Jerry Kellogg


 

Photos courtesy of Fire District #1


On Feb. 15 just after 1:20p.m., Fire District #1 of Johnson County, responded to a building fire in the 400 Block of S. Woodson Lane in Gardner. The reporting party stated their garage was on fire. Smoke could be seen from miles away by responding units.
The battalion chief arrived on scene and reported a two story duplex with heavy fire coming from the garage. Additional resources arrived to begin extinguishing the fire. Crews were able to knock down the flames quickly and were able to begin checking for any further spread of fire.
The family affected has been displaced out of their home and are staying with acquaintances. One of the family members who experienced smoke inhalation was transported from the scene in stable condition by Johnson County Med-Act to a nearby hospital as a precaution. It was initially reported there was a feline still in the house which was found and rescued by one of the fire crews. The feline is safe and sound. The fire is still under investigation.