Deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 7, 2017, local elections is 21 days prior to the election, Oct. 16. Information on advance voting can be obtained from the Johnson County Election office.
A candidate forum has been scheduled for 3 p.m. Oct. 15 at Grange Hall. All candidates have been invited to attend. The forum is sponsored by the Gardner VFW.
Locally, voters will decide between two mayor candidates in both Gardner and Edgerton:

Gardner Mayor (4 Year Term)
Chris Morrow (Incumbent) and Steve Shute
Edgerton Mayor (4 Year Term)
Donald Roberts (incumbent) and Mike Sleister

Gardner council candidates
From the primary Aug. 1 ballot, voters narrowed the field of council candidates for two vacant council seats to:
Mark Baldwin, Scott Smith, Randy Gregorcyk and Michael Blanchard.

Gardner Edgerton School District – 231
Board Member – Position 4 (4 Year Term); Wes Rains and Lana Sutton
Board Member – Position 5 (4 Year Term); Rob Shippy (Incumbent) unopposed
Board Member – Position 6 (4 Year Term); Shawn Carlisle; and Brad Chandler (Incumbent)
Advance voting can be done at:
Johnson County Election Office, 2101 East Kansas City Road, Olathe, KS ; Monday – Friday, Oct. 30 – Nov. 3, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday – Nov. 4, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. and Monday Nov. 6, 8 a.m. – 12 Noon
From the Johnson County Election website:
Effective Jan. 1, 2013, any person registering to vote in Kansas for the first time is required to provide evidence of U.S. citizenship. Please note: Any person not currently registered in Kansas must provide evidence of U.S. citizenship when registering. This requirement does not affect voters changing their current Kansas registration.
If you do not provide a citizenship document when you complete your voter registration application, you must submit it to the county election office. You may submit it by mail, hand delivery, fax or email.
A photo of the document can be texted to (913) 953-9539.
Anyone who registered at the DMV needs to check status. A link to court rulings is available on the website.
To register to vote, or change your registration:
By mail or fax: Print the Voter Registration Application, complete all information, sign and send it to the Election Office. Registration Applications may be mailed to 2101 E. Kansas City Road, Olathe, KS 66061; Faxed to 913-791-8934 or 913-791-8935 or scanned and e-mailed to The federal Voter Registration Application is accepted in Kansas.
To register, you must be a United States citizen, a resident of the State of Kansas, and have reached the age of 18 years before the next election.
• If registering in Kansas for the first time, include your evidence of U.S. citizenship.
• State law requires that all voters show photo identification. Got photo id?
• The Kansas driver’s license number or the last four digits of your Social Security number are required on the registration application.
• You may register to vote at any time. However, voter registration always closes 21 days prior to an Election Day. Applications must be postmarked no later than the 21st day prior to any election to be eligible to vote.
• If you change your name or address, or wish to change your party affiliation, update your voter registration by completing a new voter registration application.
•You may register in person at any city hall or the Election Office. Check here for a registration site near you.
• You may also register to vote or change your registration information online with a valid Kansas driver’s license or a nondriver’s identification card. Online Voter Registration is provided through the Statewide voter registration sysem: (Requires a valid KS ID)