The former Antioch School, 223 Waverly Rd., became part of the USD 231 district circa 1965 as Kansas Sschools underwent unification, which combined many small districts including Gardner, Edgerton and Antioch. The school was built about 1898 and was used until 1965. Former Gardner Elementary teacher Lydia Knoche, Gardner, taught at Antioch from 1950-1958. She managed about 20 children from 1 – 8 grade, according to an article in “Rural Schools of Johnson County,” compiled by Tressa Stone. As part of the free school territory prior to school unification, Antioch students were allowed to choose between Spring Hill, Gardner, Wellsville and Paola for high school. According to Gary George, former USD 231 superintendent, in the mid 1960-s, the then Antioch School Board made a motion during their annual meeting to disband and send students to the Gardner schools. Ted Parry, then Gardner superintendent, was notified of the decision the next day, and Antioch students began riding a rural bus route.
Remembering Antioch School
Pictured is a current photo of the Antioch School, now a private residence, and a rendering of the building from “Rural Schools of Johnson County.” Submitted photos