Photo courtesy of Leann Northway

Photo courtesy of Leann Northway

Leeann Northway
USD 231
The Gardner Edgerton High School engineering team’s Battle of the Brains “Liftoff! KC” project was the secondary level fifth place winner in the 2015 Science City and Burns and McDonnell Competition.
The engineering team received a $2,500 grant for their project at a special event at Union Station on November 18.
“I am so proud of our students and their effort in this project,” said Pam Gove, engineering team sponsor. “The students did an extraordinary job and all of these students have a bright, bright future ahead of them.”
Liftoff! KC focuses on the next and largest frontier of human exploration and scientific advancement: space. Liftoff! KC was divided into two separate zones, focusing on space exploration in one and astronomy in the other. The space exploration section exhibited all technology, engineering, missions, and processes that allow exploration to be possible, and the astronomy section covered the bodies and aspects of the solar system. The team used the two themes to communicate all of the STEM principles in a meaningful way throughout Liftoff! KC.
Experts from Science City and Burns and McDonnell evaluated the entries according to the competition’s criteria and narrowed the entries to 20 finalists. The Gardner Edgerton High School was named one of the top 10 finalists. The judges’ ranking of the top 20 accounted for 70 percent of the final rankings. The remaining 30 percent of the final rankings were determined by a public vote which ended Nov. 14. More than 530 proposals were submitted vying for the grand prize of $50,000.
The Battle of the Brains is an academic competition sponsored by Burns and McDonnell to engage students and enhance interest in science, technology, engineering and math.