Funding from the Johnson County Heritage Trust Fund was authorized Sept. 15 by the Johnson County Board of Commissioners for 10 historical projects in three cities.
Recommendations for $179,273 in 2011 funding were presented to the board by the Trust Fund’s Grant Review Board, which reviewed requests involving  a dozen applications seeking $303,740. Five of the funded projects are in Olathe, four in Shawnee, and one in Gardner.
The Gardner Historical Museum received $17,000 to paint the exterior  of the Volk Victorian Museum, 203 West Main St., and chicken house along with improvements to the exterior of the Bray House Annex.
The museum’s request was for $22,985.
Three projects received full funding. Two applications, totaling almost $22,000, involved Old Shawnee Town, 11501 West 57th St. One funding request was to earmark $9,673 in the final furnishing steps to reproduce items and/or purchase reproduction objects for use on the 1929 truck farm at the historic site. The other project, which was awarded $12,300, was to treat and prepare some 600 furnishing and fixtures for the truck farm as part of its living history interpretation for visitors.
The other fully-funded request was by the Olathe Historical Society for $29,600. The funds will be used to produce a 15-minute documentary telling the story about William Quantrill’s raid on Olathe. The raid occurred Sept. 6, 1862. The film will be included in volume two of the Olathe-The City Beautiful DVD series consisting of 20 short documentaries about the city’s history.
Seven applications for Heritage Trust funds received partial funding. The list includes $40,000 of a $49,800 request for interior renovation at the Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm Historic Site, 1100 Kansas City Road, Olathe.
Renovation of Walnut Grove, a one-room schoolhouse built in 1878, was funded $31,000 out of an application for $37,797. The project by the Olathe School District plans to restore and refurbish the building to its 1920s-30s appearance.
The task includes removing lead and asbestos, repainting the interior and exterior, reglazing windows, sanding and finishing floors and interior wood paneling, and replacing existing doors. The schoolhouse is located on the campus of Walnut Grove Elementary School, 11800 Pflumm Road. The school district plans to develop lesson plans to use the site for social studies and local history lessons by teachers and students.
Two applications by Johnson County Museum, 6305 Lackman Road, Shawnee, were partially funded. One totaled $8,000 out of a $15,900 request to expand the museum’s Community Helpers program. The program currently is aimed at kindergarten-through-third-grade student groups. The expansion will offer the program to a broader age range of students.
The museum also received $10,700 to create a new staff-produced temporary exhibit featuring approximately 40 original pencil and ink editorial cartoons that were published in The Johnson County Sun and created by local political cartoonist Bob Bliss. The works will be selected from a 70-plus collection of cartoons originally printed from 1991-2002 and donated to the museum by the artist in 2006. The museum had requested $14,700 for the project.
The other partially-funded requests by the Grant Review Board included:
• $10,000 to the Deaf Cultural Foundation for preserving the history and heritage of the Kansas School for the Deaf, 450 East Park St., Olathe, as recorded between 1876 to 2002 in the school’s publication of The Kansas Star. The project had requested $26,214 in funding. KSD is celebrating its 150th anniversary in 2011 and will use excerpts from The Kansas Star in its commemorative book “KSD: A Pictorial History, 1861-2011.
• $11,000 to MidAmerica Nazarene University, 2030 East College Way, Olathe, to ensure the permanent preservation of institutional manuscripts for the future and to provide online access in the present of the university’s Marge Smith Archives. The archives document the early development of Olathe, conservative Midwestern values, history of church-affiliated institutions of higher education, and the life and history of MNU. The university applied for $22,638 for the project.
The Johnson County Heritage Trust Fund was created in 1991 to help preserve the heritage and history of the county. Revenue for the fund is derived from a portion the county’s mortgage registration fee that exceeds the $100,000 the county is required to contribute to the Kansas Heritage Trust Fund.
The resolution for the 10 projects for 2011 funding by the Heritage Trust Fund was approved by the Board of County Commissioners with no changes to the recommendations from the Grant Review Board.  The vote was unanimous.
More information is available by contacting Kenneth Watt, Grants Manager at the Johnson County Department of Budget and Financial Planning, at    (913) 715-0561 or [email protected]