One of seven candidates will take be crowned Spring Hill Festival Queen this weekend. The coronation will take place at 7 p.m. at the ball fields. The candidates, all Spring Hill High School juniors and seniors, asks participants to raise funds and volunteer in the community.
Anna Nemer, queen candidate, said fall festival queen candidates set an example for other teenagers by being involved and volunteering.
The funds the 2011 candidates raise will benefit The Nathan Project. Named for Nathan Stiles, the Spring Hill High School student who died following an injury on the football field last year, the project provides Bibles and Bible studies for high school students.
“I wanted to be involved and the fact that the money goes to the Nathan Project is really cool,” candidate Aleah Bueker said.
Candidate Keara Jarvis said the Spring Hill Fall Festival Queen competition is based on different qualities than many queen coronations.
“It’s not a popularity contest,” Jarvis said. “The votes aren’t based on that.”
Candidates for Fall Festival Queen include:
• Aleah Bueker, a junior at SHHS. She is sponsored by the Spring Hill Ruritan Club and is the daughter of Brian and Cheryl Bueker. She serves as the baseball team manager and football manager, and enjoys horseback riding, shopping and exercising. She plans to become a dental hygienist or a nurse.
• Naoma Forkell, a senior at SHHS. She is sponsored by the Spring Hill Future Farmers of America and is the daughter of Jamie Johnson. She is a member of FFA and the high school choir. She participates in theatre and is involved in a youth group. Her hobbies include reading, writing and public speaking. She plans to become a conservation specialist.
• Sydney Goldman, a junior at SHHS. She is sponsored by Pankey Plumbing and is the daughter of Jeff and Robin Goldman. She is involved in Kids for Character, LINKS crew and drama club. She also serves as a football manager. Her hobbies include dancing and ceramics. She plans to become a genetics doctor.
• Brianna Hamilton, a junior at SHHS. She is sponsored by Cion “The Egg Lady” Hamilton and is the daughter of Darci and Amy Hamilton. She is active in 4-H, junior leaders, Madrigals and Destiny Choir, Cross country and softball. Her hobbies include dancing, singing and working on 4-H projects. She plans to major in veterinary science.
• Keara Jarvis, a senior at SSHS. She is sponsored by Perfect Details and is the daughter of Doug and Melissa Jarvis. She is active as a member of the varsity soccer team and assists with Y-Care. Her hobbies include soccer, tennis, and canoeing. She hopes to become a social worker at Children’s Mercy Hospital.
•Rachel Meyer, a junior at SHHS. She is sponsored by K&D Weapons Broker and is the daughter of Randy and Mary Meyer. She is a member of the cheerleading squad, plays softball and participates in STUCO. Her hobby is drag racing. She hopes to obtain a degree in bio- or mechanical engineering.
• Anna Nemer, a junior at SHHS. She is sponsored by Keller-Williams and is the daughter of Jim and Liz Nemer. She is a member of the dance team and a wrestling manager. Her hobbies include dancing, playing softball, scrapbooking, quilting and cooking and baking. She hopes to make a career in the medical field.
Fall Festival Queen to be coronated Saturday