Gardner Edgerton High School students got a quick lesson in microwave popcorn cooking on Monday afternoon: Don’t overdo it.
An overheated popcorn bag was to blame for a fire alarm at the high school shortly after 1 p.m. on May 9.
However, the smoky snack caused the fire alarms to ring, and the building was evacuated. According to district communications director Leann Northway, students were never in danger.
Northway said students weren’t outside any longer than a normal fire drill. In accordance with state requirements, school buildings conduct monthly fire drills.
— Danedri Thompson