Character education has long been a part of the Gardner Edgerton School District’s curriculum. The initiative strives to build a common set of values among students.
A different character trait is focused on each month and is emphasized in the activities and discussions that occur in classrooms. Students are encouraged to apply the concepts on a daily basis.
Each quarter during the school year, a student from each school who demonstrates good character traits and goes above and beyond expectations in the classroom is selected.
Special recognition for these outstanding students is held once a quarter at a school board meeting.
THe following students were recognized on Sept. 26 for being selected as the Student of Character for the first quarter of 2011-12.
• Edgerton Elementary – Quinlin Summers, third grade
• Gardner Elementary – Chase Eccles, fouth grade
• Madison Elementary – Gunnar Kyle, kindergarten
• Moonlight Elementary – Kaylah Newman, second grade
• Nike Elementary – Sydney Oyer, third grade
• Sunflower Elementary – Veeren Patel, fouth grade
• Pioneer Ridge Middle School – Natalie Mullin, seventh grade
• Wheatridge Middle School – Brady Maguire, eighth grade
• Gardner Edgerton High School – Tim Seymour, 12th grade