November 28, 2014

Railroad, schools exhibit featured at museum

The Gardner Historical Museum is currently hosting the Raillroads, featuring the Gardner Depot.  The exhibit features Jim Vohs, the Gardner Depot Agent from 1958-1974.  Due to the success of the exhibit it has been extended thru May.  Photo courtesy of Charlie Troutner

The Gardner Historical Museum is currently hosting the Raillroads, featuring the Gardner Depot. The exhibit features Jim Vohs, the Gardner Depot Agent from 1958-1974. Due to the success of the exhibit it has been extended thru May. Photo courtesy of Charlie Troutner

Charlie Troutner
Special to The Gardner News
The Gardner Historical Museum, 204 W. Main is currently presenting a “Railroads, featuring the Gardner Depot” exhibit. Due to popular demand, the exhibit will be extended through mid-May to allow more people to visit it.
The exhibit, prepared by Marcia Gay and Shirley Bruce Van Arsdale, contains interesting and historic pieces of the railroad industry in general and of the Gardner Depot in particular.
There are old photographs of the Gardner Depot, and the featured artifact is a wooden cabinet that sat on the desk of Jim Vohs, who was the depot agent at Gardner Depot, from 1958-1974. The cabinet looks the way it did when the Depot closed in 1974, and contains some of Vohs’ personal belongings, books, maps, railroad laws and regulations, and railroad and depot correspondence.

Featured at the Bray house this month is the School exhibit.  This exhibit features items pertaining to Ted and Teddy Parry.  Photos courtesy of Charlie Troutner

Featured at the Bray house this month is the School exhibit. This exhibit features items pertaining to Ted and Teddy Parry. Photo courtesy of Charlie Troutner

Other featured items in the exhibit include a railroad map from 1907 loaned by Gardner resident Joe Rothwell…. showing all the stops in Kansas, dishes from the Santa Fe Railroad restaurant cars, photographs of the local “Doodle Bug” train that operated in this area, old railroad telegraph keys, and a painting of the Gardner Depot by local artist Leonard Sebring.
There are also many general historic items such as railroad lights and lanterns.
In addition to the railroad and depot exhibit, there is also a “Schools” exhibit currently being presented at the museum’s other property, the Bray House, at 207 W. Shawnee, directly north of the main museum building.
This exhibit, prepared by Tressa Stone, features items pertaining to Ted and Teddy Parry, including some of Mrs. Parry’s artwork. It also includes items from the local elementary schools, Nike Junior High School, and GHS/GEHS High School. This exhibit will stay up through the month of May.
Museum staff hopes that anyone interested in seeing these exhibits will plan on stopping by both museum buildings and visiting these very interesting and historic exhibits in the very near future.
Museum hours are 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday through Tuesday, and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Friday. For more information, please call the museum, at (913)856-4447.

Comments do not necessarily reflect those of The Gardner News, or staff. By posting, commentators assume all liability. Please contact webmaster to report comments that infringe on copyrights, or are of a profane or libelous nature. Webmaster reserves the right to edit or remove content deemed offensive.


 

Speak Your Mind

*


+ two = 9