August 1, 2014

Property taxes too high; Vote no on bond issue

Theresa Hall
Gardner
This may be too little too late, but I have some thoughts on the school bond issue that I would like to share with you.
First of all I would like to say that I have supported every bond issue for the last 18 years. However, I cannot support this one for the following reasons: 55 percent of our property tax already goes to USD 231.
The city of Gardner will have to increase our mill levy which will increase our property taxes to help pay for their part of the infrastructure along with increasing our utility rates by at least 6 percent (on top of already scheduled increases).
Land has already been bought, and the infrastructure is already in place for an elementary school out by Pioneer Ridge.
Gardner residents already pay one of the highest property tax rates around this area, along with the highest utility rates, and sales tax. With rising food and fuel prices this bond will only add to already financially strapped households especially for those with fixed incomes such as our elderly residents.
Please vote, and please vote no on the USD 231 school bond issue. Every vote counts.

Comments

1. Steve Shute says:

I agree, Theresa… and you are NOT too late with your criticism.

Although I acknowledge the need for USD231 to be adequately funded to be able to support the student population of the district, an open-ended $75 million “blank check” that includes astro-turf fields for the benefit of Bill Diener and a new weight room and activities center (again, for Bill’s boys) is not the way to do it.

Also, the public relations campaign that has been waged by USD231 on this has been nothing short of staggering – glossy brochures, hundreds of E-mails, phone calls, and flyers sent home by teachers all designed to shame the citizens of Gardner into giving the district (which already possesses one of the highest mill levies in the STATE) even MORE of our money.

Precisely how much of our tax money HAS been spent on this initiative, Dr. Gerlach? And, does anyone else see the problem with spending taxpayer dollars with the expressed intention to secure even MORE of our taxpayer dollars for the district?

2. Steve Shute says:

I said Dr. Gerlach in the previous post – I meant Dr. Gilhaus.

3. Thank you Teresa. I don’t know your age but I’m glad somebody out there still has common sense about them.

It is more like Dr. Hemlock………..

Here a couple of years ago this school district sued you for more money using YOUR taxpayer money to do so………..now they want you to VOTE yes to keep them in the style to which they are accustomed …………..vote NO if you have a brain in your head.

6. Durp…..

7. ThePatriot says:

Vote Yes or No that is your call; but, to counter the deception posted by Vote NO! Here (once again) are the real data as reported to the State concerning enrollment in USD 231. The numbers do not include special education enrollment and two other types of enrollment which I did not know how to represent.

Elementary
    2,174 +51 (2011)
    2,123 +122 (2010)
    2,001 +76 (2009)
    1,925 +70 (2008)
    1,855 +98 (2007)
    1,757 (2006)

1,973 (this row shows average enrollment)
    +83 (this rows shows average increase)

Middle School
    1,539 +55 (2011)
    1,484 +56 (2010)
    1,428 +95 (2009)
    1,333 +67 (2008)
    1,266 +82 (2007)
    1,184 (2006)

1,372 (this row shows average enrollment)
    +71 (this rows shows average increase)

Both Elementary and Middle
    3,713 +106 (2011)
    3,607 +178 (2010)
    3,429 +171 (2009)
    3,258 +137 (2008)
    3,121 +180 (2007)
    2,941 (2006)

3,345 (this row shows average enrollment)
    +154 (this rows shows average increase)

Elementary: +83 or 4.2 % of average enrollment over that same period.
    Middle: +71 or 5.2% of average enrollment over that same period.

The School District assumption is 6% growth. That is close but higher that historical averages.

Notice how all the no-namers are for the status quo government entities time and time again. The only people with any type of integrity or ethics and are brave enough to oppose an issue are, for the most part, the ones who take ownership of their comments. The lowlifes never want to stand for their drivel – they just want their status quo government to continue since it probably has bankrolled them very well in some way. The thieves and worthless politicians and bureaucrats do not want their playhouses messed with – they want their good times to continue to roll. And oh, how many times have they threatened: If you don’t this or that, I am going to sue you or I won’t come or stay unless you give me the deal I want, etc. The blackmail and bribe games are costing the American citizens dearly and in many ways – legal crime at its finest and it includes Gardner’s Finest.