October 21, 2014

Officials respond to house fire west of town

Danedri Thompson
dthompson@gardnernews.com
A Gardner family was briefly displaced after a fire on Jan. 16.
Jerry Holly, Johnson County Fire District No. 1 battalion chief, said fire crews responded to a fire on Jessica Street in Gardner that evening.
“It ended up being on the back deck of the house,” Holly said.
Fire officials believe a barbecue grill had something to do with the cause of the fire.
“They had barbecued earlier that day,” Holly said.
When fire crews reached the scene, no one was inside the house. It was a small fire, Holly said, but it did spread to the attic.
The attic fire forced the fire department to shut off the electricity and the residents were displaced until an electrician could do wiring work.
Johnson County Fire District No. 1 sent three fire companies to fight the fire and a company from Spring Hill, Johnson County Fire District No. 2 also assisted.

Comments do not necessarily reflect those of The Gardner News, or staff. By posting, commentators assume all liability. Please contact webmaster to report comments that infringe on copyrights, or are of a profane or libelous nature. Webmaster reserves the right to edit or remove content deemed offensive.


 

Speak Your Mind