October 1, 2014

Kansans apply for carry and conceal licenses

A record number of people applied for a Kansas license to carry a concealed firearm during the fiscal year that ended June 30, Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt announced last week.
Schmidt said that the Concealed Carry Licensing Unit in his office received 12,408 permit applications during the 2012 fiscal year, a 24-percent increase over the 9,418 applications received in fiscal year 2011. The past two fiscal years rank first and second in number of permit applications received in the six-year history of the program. During the most recent fiscal year, Schmidt’s office received an average of 49 permit applications each and every working day. These figures include only first-time applications and do not include applications for renewal of expiring permits.
“Our Concealed Carry Licensing Unit works diligently to keep up with the rapidly increasing demand for this service,” Schmidt said. “We’re dedicated to ensuring the law is carried out as the Legislature intended it.”
In total, more than 44,000 valid permits are currently issued in Kansas. Through recognition agreements negotiated by the attorney general’s office, Kansas-issued permits are honored by 29 other states. Kansas honors permits issued by 23 other states.
The concealed carry licensing program was enacted by the Legislature in 2006 over the veto of then-Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. By law, the program is administered by Attorney General Schmidt’s office. More information about the concealed carry licensing program is available at www.ag.ks.gov.

Comments

I am sure all are very aware of what candidate clown for office is pushing for every dog in sight to have a conceal to carry permit. He is counting the day until he can go to Topeka with his new suit and his gun with his buddy in the backseat riding shotgun. Once again, I will not have a representative……………….and it will all be possible perhaps by citizens who support and enable the wing nuts and cronyism government. Sad, sad, sad…………..

I’m sorry, but I just don’t get it. In the last two years, we have seen 21,826 new conceal and carry applications in Kansas, which is almost double the number of 22,174 total permits already issued prior to 2010. What fear is causing a mere 1.5% of our state population to feel compelled to pack a concealed handgun around town?

Granted, if 1.5% of midnight moviegoers in Aurora, CO, had brought concealed handguns into the theatre, I suppose there might have been a chance that the carnage of a maniac could have been minimized. But are folks with C&C permits also toting hand guns into Wal-Mart, McDonald’s, Price Chopper, schools, churches, city council meetings, the swimming pool and county fair…just in case?

If so, that scares me more than knowing that I may have a rare chance encounter at the movies with a clown-haired lunatic wearing armored head and body protective gear, armed with an AR-15 assault rifle with high-capacity drum magazine, a shotgun, gas canisters and two hand guns.

My curiosity does not stem from any issue with our Second Amendment rights. I just want to know why the sudden popularity of conceal and carry. I would appreciate reading comments from others.

Our society becomes more violent by the day and do we think more guns on the street will make things better? I hardly think so. Many more people get killed on our streets than get killed serving the people in the armed services. People in the armed services can go to Iraq, Afganistan and beyond time and time again and then come home and get gunned down. The Brady gun laws need to be put back to where they were at the very least and get those guns that shoot a hundred bullets off in 1 minute outlawed.

One thing I want and I feel I have right to and that is that every person who receives a conceal to carry permit will be listed on the state KBI website along with their address. I cannot imagine any parent wanting their children going into a home where there are guns and I want to know which homes those are. I can only protect my interests, and those of my loved ones, by having this information but so far the worthless politicians have denied request after request for this information. Many scream about their rights under the 2nd Amendment but do they care about my rights to know? Definitely Not! More worthless politicians working for the special interests and lobbyists so they may continue to get their campaign finance donations and pander to the far right.

Sad, sad, sad for our country.

Do you think every community needs a clown like this one representing you in Topeka????

5. Free2speak says:

In 2011 the crime index for Gardner was at it’s lowest level in several years. (18.4) If more people having a CCL leads to more crime it would make sense that our crime index would rise. But as CCL have been issued it has done the opposite.

2007 24.3
    2008 24.8
    2009 20.2
    2010 21.6
    2011 18.4

I wonder why our crime has not skyrocketed with all of these guns out there???

Cowardly Nonamer, maybe it is because more of the lowlifes are living here now and haven’t started shooting each other up just yet or perhaps the lowlifes don’t have much to steal from each other. The sex offenders sure have increased. Where did you get your statistics………from the School Board or the city of Gardner????

7. Skeptic says:

Judith,

The 2nd ammendment doesn’t infringe on anybody’s rights.

You may want to know who has guns because you want to know everything about anyone but thankfully you don’t have the right to know about private citizens. It is not your right to know what everyone earns for a living, decide what they can and can’t do, or dictate your will over a city. I know that is hard for you to swallow and you ignore uncomfortable truths that don’t align with your delusions.

Sex offenders have increased because we list them now and I am thankful that I have guns to protect my family against those and other criminals.

Any other odd tangents or articles from California that you want to link to yet another local story?

Another cowardly backstabber speaks but is too ashamed of his or her comments to take ownership of them.

I really like this logic that says: “Sex offenders have increased because we list them now”. Now that is a real good one…………no, they have increased because just a few years ago we had 17 sex offenders living here in Gardner and we now have 35.

Just like I want information about my governments, such as the city of Gardner and USD 231 School Dist., I do want to know which people and households have guns so I may protect my interests. Says a lot again when you are too ashamed for people to know that you have a conceal to carry permit – what are you afraid of??? I say you are afraid of the TRUTH just like the big boys at Penn State were afraid of the TRUTH being put out there.

Many of the nut jobs and radicals won’t be happy until all have a gun strapped to their leg 24/7 so they can feel “safe” and they can protect “me and my own”. Regression and ignorance up the gut……..let the old Wild West days come again…………get that gun carrying Pastor over in Missouri to come here to Kansas to represent you and it looks like you may very well vote for a similiar candidate right here…………….no wonder cronyism government is so alive and well with this kind of “brain” power going strong……….

10. Skeptic says:

Population doubles in 10 years and so do the number of sex offenders. You dealt in a vague time frame so I didn’t know if you were talking about an increase over 50 years or 5 years.

The point of conceal is so that nobody knows. The criminals don’t know if you are an easy victim or someone that can defend yourself or others. We all know that you are an easy target. If I was a criminal that wanted to steal guns then I could see the list of houses with guns and possibly what guns and how many and then rob it.

I’m not the brightest person around but I am smart enough to know that, which puts me ahead of you. I am constantly amazed at your high regard for yourself. Do you have a self portrait on your wall with a halo?

Nonamer, I wasn’t talking about any 10 year period and you know I wasn’t. You have got the druggies, prostitutes, molesters, those who commit battery, attempted murder and much more as neighbors here in Gardner. Wake up and smell the stench and I can only hope you don’t start trying to kill a few since they don’t know you are carrying heat. The lowlifes only need to head to the nearest gun show to know who would be a likely target for theft of guns. They will know not to come to my house to steal guns because there are none and if they have killing on their mind when they come to my house, then so be it but I am not going to sit in my house with a gun with fear on my mind.

I have the right to know which homes have guns in them. I can then invite kids to my home where there are none rather than taking the risk of my kid getting killed in an environment where an accident is only a moment and poor decision away.

Again, I say I see society regressing and ignorance and fear being kept alive and talked about. NRA will never get a penny out of me. More guns on the streets will bring about more violence in my opinion. You might want to put your money and your mouth to getting education, jobs, a livable wage and much more for all of the people out there who need these things so much now and for the generations to come and you sure won’t get those things by continuing to enable and support the slimy politicians/bureaucrats who are working for the thieves who don’t want to pay taxes for the needs of the communities or care one iota with how their costs and tax burden are being transferred to the people by all of the crap occurring in the back rooms of our government halls of shame and beyond. If you really recognized who was holding you up and killing your chances for a decent life here in our great nation, then you might be working to get some decent people to run for office, getting informed and educated on important issues and actually VOTING and doing your job by providing the needed oversight and regulation because those two things are ALWAYS needed. .

12. Skeptic says:

Never said that I carry, belong to the NRA, or want to become a vigilante. For the record, I don’t.

You DO NOT [I repeat DO NOT] have the Right to know what private citizens possess legally in their home.

I know that you need the last word so I am finished on this subject.

14. Tom Mertz says:

Carry and Conceal Licenses are not available to anyone with any criminal background problems.

Knowing who has Carry and Conceal Licenses will tell you where criminals DO NOT exist.

That looney out in Colorado probably could have got a conceal to carry permit since he certainly got everything he needed and more to go on his killing spree. Again I urge all parents to check to see if there any guns on the premises of the child day centers or homes their children visit. Be proactive rather than heartbroken.

16. nonamers says:

Judith, how dare you use my name to talk to Skeptic. If you really want to slander a frequent noname poster, try picking on that Panda person…you DO remember the noname person who used that nickname, don’t you?

17. Todd Sweem says:

Dear bitter old cranky Judith or who ever you are, that looney out in Colorado may have been able to get a CCH or maybe not and maybe if his shrink had notified someone he might not have been able to get a gun in the first place. If the movie theater had allowed concealed carry he might not have been able to kill and wound so many people either. One thing we do know is what happened when no one but the criminal had a firearm… people get hurt or killed. Ever wonder why these active shooters always pick places that ban concealed carry for their attacks because they like law abiding citizens that cannot shoot back. When will you cronies learn that criminals do not follow the law! I remember when we were working so hard in Kansas to get CCH and people like you kept saying OH NO there will blood running down the streets, every one will be shooting each other on the hi-ways, it will look like a wild west shoot out in the OK corral. Kansas wasn’t the 1st, 2nd or even the 30th state to get CCH and none of the other states had this problem. We were the 47th state to get CCH and guess what crime has went down and there has been no CCH holders randomly shooting anybody. Even our police chief went on record saying he was wrong in the beginning of CCH and now approves CCH. You talk like the NRA is the problem well who do you think supports the NRA? Gun owners, that’s who! If it wasn’t for gun owners there would be no NRA doing our bidding for us. Before you start running you mouth on a subject you know little about you should really checks facts. If you don’t like living in a pro-gun state then get out! No one is making you stay here. Take you bitter old hind end and head back to CO!

Another looney running loose with a gun and most definitely is bitter. Another Dennis Pugh ready to lose his cool at the drop of a hat……………Again I urge all parents to check to see if there are any guns on the premises of the child day centers or homes their children visit. Be proactive rather than heartbroken.

19. nonamers says:

So Judith, apparently when you can’t actually argue the point logically, it’s nice to see you fall back on libel. But then, that’s your answer to everything, isn’t it?

If you had actually taken a little time to do some research, you would know that the vast majority of gun owners DO keep their guns locked up and out of reach of children. A child is far more likely to be accidentally poisoned at a home day care than shot. A child is even MORE likely to be physically abused at a home day care than being shot OR poisoned.

Your trying to invoke day cares and children is a pathetically-transparent attempt at covering your lack of knowledge about guns, day cares, children, or pretty much anything involved in this conversation…and instead, you replace it with scare tactics and out-and-out libel. D’ya think Dennis Pugh might be interested in your saying he’s capable of murder? D’ya think Todd Sweem enjoys your making the same implication about him?

Either way, it all comes down to the same ol’ Judith, using lies and fear and her general “libelous nature” because she can’t figure out how to engage in an honest discussion any other way.

21. Todd Sweem says:

Judith I am hardly a loony but thanks cause it tells me you have no facts to come back with. Do some digging, come on I dare you to find cases where a concealed carry person has went crazy and started randomly shooting or blown their composure and started shooting and I know you’ll bring the Zimmerman/Martin case but remember that hasn’t been decided yet.
    If you have such a dislike for firearms and the people that own and carry them then you should have a sign in your front yard stating such and that you don’t allow them on your property, it’s your right to do this but I bet you won’t.

22. This has been around for awhile, but in light of the recent tragedy in
    Aurora, Co, there has been more pressure to regulate our 2nd amendment….

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

After reading the following historical facts, read the part about
    Switzerland twice.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From
    1929 to
    1953,about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
    up and exterminated….

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5
    million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated….

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a
    total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves
    were rounded up and exterminated….

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million
    political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up
    and
    exterminated…

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981,
    100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated….

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000
    Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated….

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one
    million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated. ….

Total number of defenseless people rounded up and
    exterminated in
    the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced
    by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their
    own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million
    dollars. The first year results are now in:

List of 5 items: Australia-wide, (1) homicides are up 3.2 percent.
    Australia-wide, (2) assaults are up 8.6 percent. Australia-wide, (3) armed
    robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! In the state of Victoria
    alone, (4) homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while
    the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and
    criminals still possess their guns! While figures over the previous 25
    years showed a steady decrease in armed
    robbery with firearms, this has
    changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are
    guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. (5) There has also been a dramatic
    increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians
    are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such
    monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding
    Australian society of guns.

The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove
    it. You won’t see this data on the US evening news, or hear
    politicians
    disseminating this information. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save
    lives and property and, yes,gun-control laws adversely affect only the
    law-abiding citizens. Take note my fellow Americans, before it’s too late!
    The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of
    this history lesson. With guns, we are ‘citizens’. Without them, we are
    ‘subjects’. During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because
    they knew most Americans were ARMED! If you value your freedom, please
    spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends. The
    purpose
    of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is
    more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The
    final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN! SWITZERLAND ‘S
    GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE. SWITZERLAND HAS THE
    LOWEST GUNRELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!IT’S A
    NO BRAINER! DON’T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAXDOLLARS IN AN
    EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET. I’m a firm
    believer
    of the 2nd Amendment! If you are too, please forward. Just think how
    powerful our government is getting. They think these other countries just
    didn’t do it right.

So many little boys in big boy pants who want their guns but are such cowards they cannot even take ownership of their comments…………I don’t feel I could count on them to defend me or even themselves………….

26. Looks like a good argument for conceal carry. May have been less victims if someone else could defend themselves.

Things like this make me think that I and others should get licensed.