Gardner Edgerton USD 231 was notified by the Kansas State Department of Education on Jan. 20, 2014, that five USD 231 schools were honored with the Kansas Governor’s Achievement Award. The award recognizes the top five percent of schools in Kansas. Schools receiving the award include Edgerton Elementary, Madison Elementary, Nike Elementary, Sunflower Elementary, and Wheatridge Middle School.
Forty-two Kansas elementary schools, 10 middle/junior high schools and 18 high schools qualified for this award. USD 231 has received a total of 32 Governor’s Achievement Awards since the start of the recognition program in 2006.
To receive the honor, schools must have been among the top 5 percent of Kansas schools in both reading and mathematics achievement on the 2013 State Assessments at the respective level and met one additional measure. For elementary schools and middle/junior high schools the additional measure is attendance.
The Governor’s Achievement Award is a significant recognition for Kansas schools and recognizes a school’s high expectations and the ability for the staff to assist students in achieving expectations. Kansas Education Commissioner Dr. Diane DeBacker states: “We know that without administrative support, highly qualified teachers, paraprofessionals, and other personnel, such achievement simply is not possible.”
In addition to this recognition, the following outstanding achievements were realized by USD 231 schools:
• 100 percent of third and fourth grade students at Nike and Sunflower Elementary Schools met the state standard or better in reading and math.
• 100 percent of third and fourth grade students at Edgerton Elementary School met the state standard or better in math and 100 percent of third grade students met the state standard or better in reading.
• 100 percent of third and fourth grade students at Madison Elementary School met the state standard or better in reading and 100 percent of third grade students met the state standard or better in math.
• 100 percent of fifth and sixth graders at Wheatridge Middle School met the state standard or better in math.
• 100 percent of fourth grade students at Edgerton, Gardner, Moonlight, Nike and Sunflower Elementary Schools met the state standard or better in science.
This is the seventh Governor’s Achievement Award for Edgerton Elementary (Principal Nancy Woolery), the second for Nike Elementary (Principal Lisa Thompson), the fourth for Sunflower Elementary (Principal Dustin Mortensen), third for Wheatridge Middle School (Principal Heath Sigg) and sixth for Madison Elementary (Principal Christi Whitter).