The Gardner Auditorium was built in 1938 with WPA government funds and workers. The auditorium was located next door to Reece Hospital on Elm Street south of Shawnee Street. It was the place to be for picture shows, sporting events and the community theater. The auditorium later served as the city fire station, and now is used by the Gardner Parks and Recreation. Information courtesy of the Gardner Historical Musuem.